Thursday, November 11, 2010

kids these days ...?

I was thinking today about how teens and others in general are overdrugged (according to the media).  Currently, there are more people on prescription drugs than ever before.  I haven't always kept up with the news, but it sounds like there is quite a bit of abuse when it comes to painkillers.

On 10/29, I had a medical procedure on my right hip and have been on a prescribed painkiller since then.  The first day I took it, it made me so nauseous I got sick.  Since then, I've taken one pill at a time as needed (so about 3 times a day).  It can make me loopy where I know I can't drive, but I can do everything else (like work, read, walk, watch television, nap...).  A week after the surgery, I tried going all day on Saturday without taking it and I felt horrible on Sunday.  It took a bit to get back into the groove but I feel less pain still it doesn't completely go away.  I can feel the area that is healing become very sensitive when I touch it.  It is painful to wear trousers or jeans, sleep on my right side, and even wearing a seat belt is very uncomfortable!  I've been lying on my left side, wearing lots of dresses/skirts, and left a scarf in my car to protect my hip.  My husband has to be careful when hugging/cuddling :D

An unforeseen side effect has come across during this experience.  Although I have never been on anti-depressants, sometimes when I take this painkiller, I get this euphoric I-don't-care-everythings-totally-fine feeling and get in a really good mood.  Also, my appetite has really gone down and I get myself to eat every day (albeit smaller quantities and I could skip meals if I desired).  I've only got about another week's prescription left (considering at the rate I'm taking it) and we'll see if I continue to need it (for the pain lol).  Has anyone else experienced this when taking painkillers?

1 comment:

  1. Totally! Depends on what you get and what strength. I have been on a few different painkillers. But yes, there are pills some not painkillers that do give you a euphoric feeling I've been on some of those as well. I hope your hip is feeling better now though.

    ReplyDelete